How KB Articles Are Used with Monitoring
A KB (Knowledge Base) Article is a necessary step for setting up monitoring and alerting. When an API has monitoring configured and the API is having problems then the Technology Support Center (TSC) will get the alert and the first thing they will look at is the associated KB article. A well-written KB article may allow the TSC to solve the problem on its own. If they cannot solve the problem using the KB article, then they will need to escalate the problem until it reaches someone who can look into and solve the problem.
How to Write a KB Article for Sentinel Monitoring
First, you need to get to the page where you can write your KB Article.
- Visit https://sn.byu.edu and log in if necessary.
- Within the navigational menu's search box, search for "kb".
- Select "Create New" under the "Articles" section.
- On the page that loads, choose "Monitoring Alerts" then "Standard" and then click the "Next" button.
Now that you are on the KB Article page:
- At the bottom of this page you'll see a footer with some templates. Click the "Alert" template to apply some defaults.
- Under "Category" enter the word "Sentinel" to signify that this KB Article is associated with a Sentinel alert.
- Under "Ownership Type" select the option "Select an Ownership Group".
- Now "Ownership Type" will be replaced with "Ownership" and you'll want to enter the name of the Assignment Group that has ownership for the monitored service.
- Fill in the "Service" and "Service Offering".
- Scroll down and enter a "Short Description".
- In the "Information" field, look at each of the prompts and replace the helper text with a description. Remember that the better this KB Article is at telling the TSC how to troubleshoot the issue, the less you and your team will be contacted to fix things.
- Do NOT click the "Save and Return" button, instead click the "Save" button.
- Once the page reloads you will want to copy the "Number" value. You will use this value when you set up your Sentinel Monitoring.
- Finally, click the "Publish" button to make the KB article active.