When a developer subscribes to an API in the API Store, he or she receives permission to make calls to that particular API. There is no guarantee, however, that the developer's calls will return actual BYU data. This is because permissions to call an API and permissions to receive BYU data are separate (more information). In order to receive BYU data through the subscribed-to API, a developer needs to request elevated access (or, in other words, request a data sharing agreement). Please be aware that a single data sharing agreement can only be applied to one application in the API Store (it's a one-to-one relationship). If you have a previous data sharing agreement which is associated with multiple applications, you will need to negotiate a new data sharing agreement for each of the additional applications.
This page will walk you through the steps necessary to request and receive elevated access.
Note: If you believe that you already have a data sharing agreement but are not receiving data from the subscribed-to API, contact Valinda Rose at 801-422-1494 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Be prepared to provide her with the API key associated with your data sharing agreement (which you can find at developer.byu.edu/credential) and the consumer key associated with your API Store application (include Production, Sandbox, or both) that you wish to associate.
- Go to the page of the API you would like to request elevated access for (either in the Developer Portal or the API Store).
- If you're in the Developer Portal, push the "Visit InfoHub" button (right sidebar). If you're in the API Store, push the "View in InfoHub" button ("Overview" tab). This will bring you to the API page in InfoHub.
- You should see a list of fields, paired with their associated business terms. Select the fields you would like to request access for, and then push "Add To Request."
Note: Because InfoHub is still in development, some fields may not yet be associated with business terms. If this is the case, you may try to locate particular business terms by entering key words into the "Search" tab. Otherwise, you can contact the InfoHub team for assistance.
- If you would like to request access to more data elements (business terms) than show up on the API page, click the main menu item, "Search." Then, use the search bar (at the top) to locate additional data elements.
- For each data element, push "Add to Request."
- As you add data elements to your request, they will show up within your "Requested Items" queue, displayed at the top right of the screen. Once you have added all of the data elements you want, push the button, "Submit Request."
- You will be shown a Request Form. Some of the fields will already be populated. Check the pre-populated fields, and fill in the fields that are still empty.
- Once you have finished filling out the form, push "Submit Request."
Note: After pushing "Submit Request," your Request Form will be sent to the relevant data stewards for review. When a decision has been made, you will be contacted at either your provided email address or your provided phone number.