"Create an application" may not mean what you think it means. This step does not include writing code which will ultimately implement the API (although you should probably do that, too). This step simply entails going to the API Store (api.byu.edu/store), clicking on "My Applications" (a tab in the top middle of the page), and providing the information, needed by the API Manager, about the application that you intend to write.
For more detailed instructions, see the step-by-step guide below.
Note: You should create a different application in the API Store for every one of your real-life programs which consumes a BYU API. This is vital for compliance with information governance.
- Go to https://api.byu.edu/store. You should see a screen similar to the one below.
- Login using your CAS Credentials.
- Click on the "My Applications" tab (top middle).
- You should see this screen.
- In the Name field enter the desired name for the application.
- Set the throttling tier to your desired level.
- Unlimited - unlimited requests
- Gold - allows 20 requests per minute
- Silver - allows 5 requests per minute
- Bronze - allows 1 request per minute
- If you have a callback URL enter it in the callback URL field.
- The callback URL is used in an OAuth 2.0 interaction to retrieve an access token. Read more on that topic here.
- If you are unsure what your callback URL is, it's okay to proceed without it. Just be sure to come back and add it later!
- You may also add a short description in the description field.
- Click "Add"
- Your new application should be visible in the highlighted region.
- You have successfully created a new application in the API Manager.